Central Arkansans spent the past month and a half “imagining” their future and identifying key values through Imagine Central Arkansas, the regional visioning effort launched by Metroplan in mid-September. Citizens said they value the region's parks and open spaces, enjoy its family friendly atmosphere, seek greater economic and educational opportunities, and wish for increased choices in transportation.
Using an interactive online mapping tool named Treasured Places, residents identified their favorite places to live, work, play and travel throughout the region. The top ten places to date include:
1. Big Dam Bridge
2. Little Rock River Market
3. Two Rivers Park Bridge
4. Pinnacle Mountain
5. The Covered Bridge at Burns Park
Using another tool named Ideascale, central Arkansans brainstormed on ideas for the future. Ideas with the most votes to date include:
1. Finishing the river trail.
2. Adopting a “Complete Streets” policy for the region.
3. Building bicycle trails connecting to popular destinations.
4. Building on less green space in the future.
5. Creating a system of trains to connect places throughout the region.
A review of all of the information collected to date reveals severals five key trends on what central Arkansans value:
- Natural and civic spaces.
- Places to connect and play.
- Choice in transportation (transit, walking, bicycling).
- Safe, family-friendly.
- Economy/affordability, quality of life.
A full summary of findings can be downloaded here. Imagine Central Arkansas will continue to collect thoughts and ideas through the month of November. There are a number of ways to participate:
- Identify and vote for Treasured Places.
- Share big ideas it and vote for others on Ideascale.
- Take our interactive quiz on central Arkansas at Know Your Region.
- Request someone to speak to your organization
through our Speaker’s Bureau.